Contrary to popular belief, learning the art of DJing is not an easy route. It is a challenging task that not only requires time and effort but also takes its toll on your wallet. Once you step into this genre, you will be overwhelmed with the tons of various DJ gadgets available in the market. However, one of the first and basic equipment you need to start your career is a set of comfortable and reliable DJ headphones.
Just like buying a pair of expensive football kicks won’t make you a star in one day, getting $1000 headphones as a beginner will not do you any good. At this stage all you gotta do is buy a decent quality headphone set, work on your skills, be observant and gather experience. Match your own musical expressions with the desires of your audience and you will be a star one day.
Finding the best DJ headphones under $100 is itself a strenuous task. There are so many different brands available out there that it can be hard to find a pair that’s right for you. Lucky for you, we bring a thorough insight on each and every top option that will help you make the best decision according to your preferences.
8 Wallet-friendly DJ Headphones for Beginners under $100
- Behringer HPM1000 (most affordable DJ headphones)
- Hercules HDP-DJ-M40.1
- PreSonus HD7
- Apex HPDJ1
- Pioneer DJ HDJ-CUE1BT-W (top pick)
- Audio Technica ATH-M20X (best value for money)
- Shure SRH240A
- Sennheiser HD 25 DJ Headphones
1. Behringer HPM1000
Whether you are mixing a recording or simply sitting back enjoying your favorite music, Behringer DJ Headphone HPM 1000 will get the job done. It has a wide frequency response coupled with high dynamic range which is perfect for listening to the audios in depth. With these headphones, you will get a top-notch performance at a satisfying price that will leave money in your pocket for more studio gear.
Comfort is also a plus point of the HPM1000. It harbors an ultra-cozy headband along with oval shaped softly cushioned ear cups that deliver premium quality sound to your ears with minimal external noise disturbance. Compatible with almost everything from a smartphone to the mixing console, HMP 1000 is amongst the most commonly bought DJ headphones by the beginners around the globe.
Some of the other spectacular specs of Behringer DJ headphone includes;
- Frequency response: 20 Hz - 20 kHz.
- Max. Power Handling: 100 mW.
- Impedance: 32 Ohm.
- Sensitivity: 105 dB @ 1 kHz.
- Cord length: 2.0 m.
- Connector: 1/8" TRS connector plus 1/4" TRS adapter.
2. Hercules HDP-DJ-M40.1
For the Matte Black enthusiasts DJs out there, Hercules brings you the all black HDP-DJM40.1 with a stylish sleek design. It comes with an adjustable back that can easily be worn over the hats. The large ear pads of this Hercules headphone are equipped with cozy cushions that enable the users to use it for long periods of time. These ear pads also prevent sound from bleeding out and at the same time block any external noise disturbance.
With the 50mm diameter drivers, you will experience clear audio playback along with a strong bass making it perfect for listening as well as mixing your music. Another convenient feature of these DJ headphones is the swivel housing with extending arms that can accommodate both small and large heads. All this at a price of $49.99 backed by a 2 years warranty is a perfect deal that offers you hassle-free long-lasting music experience.
Few other product specifications of the Hercules headphone are;
- Connector Type: Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm
- Size: Regular
- Weight: 1.1 lbs
- Product Dimensions: 8.1 x 3.6 x 9 inches
- Frequency response: 20Hz-20kHz and 60-ohm impedance
- Connector: 1/8" to 1/4" plug adapter.
3. PreSonus HD7
PreSonus Headphone HD7 is a top class professional level headset coming at a price point that is within reach of every wallet. With these equipped on your ears, you can expect impressive sound performance with such depth that you can hear each and every note present in the audio. Knowing how important it is for DJs to have a headset that offers perfect balance between the bass and treble, the ProSonus headphone set will not disappoint you. These DJ headphones deliver natural and clear sound through a semi-open chamber designed in a way to give you all the exceptionally low and high frequencies.
In order to entertain the audience during lengthy live sessions, it is essential for DJs to have equipment that not only looks dapper but is also comfortable to use. The lightweight HD7 is perfect in that scenario. It features durable soft ear pads that automatically adjust to any head size. It also harbors top quality build material that can resist wear and tear allowing you to travel with these wherever you want.
More features of the PreSonus Headphone set include;
- Acoustic Design: Dynamic, semi-open
- Driver: 50 mm, neodymium
- Frequency Response: 10 Hz to 30 kHz
- Sensitivity: 98 dB SPL (1 mW)
- Maximum Power: 300 mW
- Rated Impedance: 32Ω
- Earpad: Leather
- Weight, without Cable: 7.8 oz (222g)
- Cable: 8' 2" (2.5m) straight, single-sided
- Plug Adapter: 1/8" to 1/4" (3.5 to 6.3 mm), screw-on, gold-plated, stereo mini-plug
4. Apex HPDJ1
One of the cheapest DJ headphones available out there. The HPDJ1 is a closed folding stereo headset with a swivel option that allows you to manipulate them into any desired position.
This Apex headphone also provides much needed enhanced lows and crisp high giving you an accurate sound reproduction experience. Another aspect where this equipment stands out is the durability. DJs constantly twist and turn their headphones, sometimes over the head, sometimes around the neck. Good quality DJ headphones should be able to take such abuse for at least a year or two. With Apex headphone, you don’t need to worry about that. It has a strong hinge mechanism giving the headset additional years of life.
Some highlighted product specifications are;
- Type: Closed Dynamic Headphones
- Driver: 57mm Neodymium Magnet
- Frequency Response: 5Hz – 30kHz
- Sensitivity: 107dB (± 3dB / 0dB = 1V/Pa)
- Impedance: 64 Ω (± 15% @ 1kHz)
- Maximum Input Power: 3500mW
- Connection: 3.5mm (1/8th-inch) TRS Jack
- Cable Length: 13 ft / 4 m
- Weight: 13 oz / 360 g
5. Pioneer DJ HDJ-CUE1BT-W
Nothing much needs to be said when it comes to the Pioneer DJ headphones. The HDJ-CUE1BT-W are built on the DNA from the pro Pioneer headphone models but at a much more affordable price.
Professional as well as new budding DJs love these headsets for their pro look, rich sound, flexible and compact design, and top-quality finish. With the discounted price of $99, they are a must consider option for beginners who are looking to buy high-end headphones at a budget friendly price.
Th top feature of Pioneer DJ headphones includes;
- Pro-level sound
The specialist sound tuning inherited from the high-end HDJ-X5 helps you to hear all the low frequencies in the audio. This will help you to mix the music with precision and to know what exactly your audience will hear when you drop your next tune.
- Durable and long-lasting build
All the materials used for making this beauty are of top quality and are passed through a series of stress tests in order to produce a strong finished product that will easily last for many years.
- Bluetooth Wireless Connection
A feature not seen in many other under $100 DJ headphones is the Bluetooth connectivity. With the Pioneer Headphone, you can connect to smartphones, laptop and all other devices that support Bluetooth.
- Customizable and comfortable design:
Customization is another favorite feature of mine. Pioneer HDJ are available in various colors like white, black, red etc. You can also switch the colors of cords and earpads to create a funky look suiting your personality. The 90 rotate-able ear pads also allows you to have one ear experience used by many DJs that wish to interact with the audience and listen to the music as well simultaneously.
Some other product specs of Pioneer headphone include;
- Type: Closed, dynamic
- Maximum Input Power: 2000 mW
- Sensitivity: 104 dB
- Frequency Range: 5 - 30000 Hz
- Impedance: 32 Ω
- Output: Bluetooth Specification Class 2
- Supported Codec: SBC, AAC
- Version: Bluetooth standard ver. 5.0
- Weight: 250 g (without cable)
6. Audio Technica ATH-M20X
A professional studio headphone for DJs that wish to have top quality experience with no compromise. Audio Technica is one of the leading brands in the DJ headphones industry. Their ATH-M20x is a great introduction to the much-demanded M-series line that is known for delivering high-end headphones across the globe.
This Audio Technica headphone possesses contoured seal tight earcups perfect for sound isolation and minimal bleed. Its modern design combined with durable yet comfortable material ensures a relaxing listening experience for the lengthy sessions in the studio.
Product Specifications of Audio Technica DJ headphones;
- Type: Closed-back dynamic
- Driver Diameter: 40 mm
- Frequency Response: 15 - 20,000 Hz
- Maximum Input Power: 700 mW at 1 kHz
- Sensitivity: 96 dB
- Impedance: 47 ohms
- Weight: 190 g (6.7 oz), without cable and connector
- Cable: 3.0 m (9.8'), straight, left-side exit
- Magnet: Neodymium
- Voice Coil: Copper-clad aluminum wire
- Accessories Included: 6.3 mm (1/4") snap-on adapter
I am sure some of you might be thinking that a headphone with such high capabilities will cost you a lot but don’t worry! Currently on sale on the Hollywood DJ store at the discounted price of $49, you won’t find a better deal than this. Hurry up and grab your DJ headphones right away.
7. Shure SRH240A
For all the bass lovers DJs, this one's for you. SRH240A produces high quality audio with deep bass along with clear mids and highs. Power handling, impedance and sensitivity are all calibrated professionally to connect to the various consumer and DJ audio devices.
Available in all black design, it is perfect for indoor and outdoor live sessions and will go with any type of outfit you choose to wear. With removable ear pads you don’t have to worry about replacing the whole headphones incase earpiece gets damaged. Just buy the earpads separately and plug them back in. Moreover, by removing the earpads, you can make the headphone size smaller in order to fit them inside your travel bags. At a wallet friendly price of $59, it is a must consider option for music artists looking for low budget good quality DJ headphones.
Some of the major specifications of Shure headphone includes;
- Transducer Type Dynamic, Neodymium magnet
- Driver Size: 40 mm
- Frequency Range: 20 Hz - 20,000 Hz
- Sensitivity (@ 1 kHz): 107 dB/mW
- Impedance (@ 1 kHz): 38 Ohms
- Maximum Input Power: 500 mW
- Connector: Gold-plated 3.5 mm (1/8”) stereo mini-jack and 6.35 mm (1/4”) threaded adapter
- Cable Length/Type: 2 meters (6.56 ft) / attached, straight and oxygen-free copper
- Removable Ear Pads: Yes
- Weight: 0.52 lb. (238 g) without the cable
8. Sennheiser HD 25
For anyone who has been in the music industry, I am sure you must have heard about the Sennheiser. Renowned for producing top class musical gears, their headphones are popular amongst Gamers, DJs and other music artists all around the world.
The Sennheiser HD 25 is one of the best DJ headphones available out there. Thanks to the resilient materials and robust construction, these DJ headphones are capable of handling high sound pressure levels and perform exceptionally well in loud external environments. Another key feature that makes these headphones stand out is their lightweight build. Due to their light weight and one-ear listening tendency, the HD 25 are perfect for mobile monitoring and outdoor performances. The single tough, detachable cord is also a handy feature that allows you to carry the headphones around more efficiently.
The original price of this Sennheiser headphone at the official store is $150. However, lucky for you, they are currently on sale on the Hollywood DJ store at a staggering price of $99. You can also pay in 4 interest-free installments of $24.98.
Some other highlighted specs are;
- Type: Wired
- Open/Closed: Closed
- Fit Style: Circumaural (Around the Ear)
- Noise Attenuation: Passive Noise Isolating
- Frequency Response: 16Hz-22kHz
- Impedance: 70 ohms
- Connectivity: 1/8" plug, 1/4" adapter
- Cable Type: Straight
Things to consider before buying budget friendly DJ headphones
Some of the basic things that you should consider before buying a headset are;
- Know your usage: If you are someone who is going to be DJ’ing for lengthy live sessions, you want to bag a durable headphone set that can resist heavy abuse.
- Comfort: As a DJ, you are going to use headphones a lot. So, find the most comfortable headphones out there giving minimal fatigue to your ears.
- Style and Design: Having the stylish DJ headphones set over your eyes you will not only feel more confident but also attract more audience. Design also plays a very important role. Some headphones come with detachable cables that provide extra convenience while traveling. Another popular feature amongst DJs is single ear operation. If you are into that, make sure you check the design of headphones beforehand.
Over to youBuying a good quality headset can be tricky especially if you are just starting your DJ career. The good thing is there are some great brands out there to choose from. We have only included the best quality DJ headphones, falling into an affordable price range that is ideal for starters. Hopefully, this article will guide you to find the best DJ headphones that you can use to develop your next music track.